CAMmag logo

Moped shops then and now


Adimar

Adimar in 1960

Frank Adinolfi, proprietor of Adimar, was the UK concessionaire for Itom.  The shop was at 222 Brixton Road, London SW9 on the corner with Lorn Road.  Now occupied by a beauty salon the frontage (although hidden behind the steel shutters) has changed very little.

Adimar in 2012


Alford Brothers

Alford Brothers in 2001

The most recent of our ‘then’ pictures is this one of Alford Brothers of Felixstowe.  The number plate sign would suggest that the picture was taken in 2001 ... but it could be later as the same sign had not been changed in 2014, when our second picture was taken.

Although we don't have an older picture of the shop’s exterior, we do have several interior views ... enough for a seperate page of photos.

Alford Brothers in 2014


Aplins of Bristol

Aplins in 1960

Of our collection of period pictures of moped shops, most are no longer there.  Some of the businesses are no longer trading, others have moved on to bigger things.  Aplins of Bristol however is one that is still in the business in its original premises.  The business was founded in 1959 and the picture (right) shows the shop in the following year.  The second picture shows the shop, little changed, in 2010.

(Period picture supplied by Brian Aplin.  There are more period pictures of Aplins on the Aplins page of our Directory.)

Aplins in 2009


Artdean

Artdean’s in 1967

This one almost made it ...

This single story showroom was built in 1966 on the site of Artdean’s previous three-storey premises in Swindon.  The rebuild was triggerd by the collapse of the house next door after some ‘over enthusiastic’ DIY work!  The new showroom is pictured in 1967, with a Raleigh Wisp prominent among the bikes displayed outside.  Artdean’s was a cycle shop and the father & son owners, Arther and Harold Pullen, made their first foray into the moped market with four Auto-VAPs in 1960.

Artdean’s in 2014

Pictured in 2014, the shop is still there with a second storey added.  However, Artdean’s went into voluntary liquidation in January 2015.


Blackley

Blackley’s in 1967

Bill Blackley opened his shop at 71 Cambridge Heath Road, London E1 in 1960, though the family business was much older than that.  Originally a cycle business, at the opening of this shop 25% of Blackley’s trade was mopeds.  By the time this picture was taken in 1967,all Blackley’s business was mopeds and under 125cc motor cycles.

Blackley’s in 2015

In 2015, the shop was empty


Bungay Motors

Bungay Motors in 1967

This picture, taken in 1967, shows George Smith of Bungay Motors in the door of his shop at 32–34 Earsham Street, Bungay, Suffolk.  Mr Smith had just taken over the permises, which had already been a cycle & motor cycle business for 60 years, owned by R Charlish Ltd.  George Smith sold Lambretta, Suzuki, Mobylette, and Motobi machines while, on the pedalcycle side of his business, he stocked the Raleigh range in addition to the local make, Rival, from Johnson, Burton & Theobald.  Today, the premises are occupied by New Beginnings florists.  However, the original owner, R Charlish Ltd, is still trading in Bungay as a garage.

New Beginnings florists in 2014


Cheyne of Aberdeen

Cheyne Cycles in 1967

Cheyne (Cycles) Ltd was at 147 Holburn Street, Aberdeen and this picture was taken in 1966.  Fast-forward 59 years to April 2015 and 147 Holburn Street is occupied by ba dentist … except … it’s not the same building!  The premises in the 1966 picture is now a tanning salon with an address of 133 Holburn Street.  We can tell that this is the right building because of the ‘Hollybank Place’ street sign on the wall.  147, on the other hand, is a block further along, on the corner of Howbank Place and Holburn Street.

133 Holburn Street in 2014


H O Cox of Ipswich

H O Cox’s shop in 1962

A delivery of 50 Raleigh mopeds was being made when this picture was taken in 1962.  As well as selling direct to the public, H O Cox would also supply the machines to smaller retailers in the town.  David Denny, Raleigh’s Sales Manager (and who supplied several of the period pictures on this page), is among those in the picture, as is Mr H O Cox himself.  The picture’s not too clear and it’s difficult to indentify who’s who.  However, judging by height, David is on the extreme left.

In 2013, the scene hasn’t changed much.  The buildings have had a lick of paint, the trolleybus wires have gone and the Thames Trader has been replaced by a 4×4.  Cox’s showroom has becone a Coffee Lounge but Cox Motorcycles is still trading on the site as the sign on the end wall shows.

H O Cox’s shop in 2008


Crosland of Nottingham

Croslands in 1956

This picture of Dan Crosland’s shop in Lower Parliament Street, Nottingham was taken in 1956, after a fire in the shop.

The fire started in the afternoon of April 26 when the shop was shut for half-day closing.  Outside are bikes that have been dragged from the burning shop.  Nearest the camera, a Mercury scooter lies on its side.  Several Power Paks can be seen in the stack of bicycles.

The area looks rather run down fifty years later (second picture) and Crosland’s bike shop has gone.  (There is, however, still a shop selling bridal gowns, though it’s moved a couple of doors down the street.)

Croslands in 2008


Davey Brothers of Ipswich

Davey Brothers in 1964

Davey Brothers’ Shop in Alan Road, Ipswich.  The picture was taken in 1964 after a delivery of new Honda bikes.

Fifty years later and not a lot appears to have changed; it’s still Davey Brothers and they are still trading.  The shop window has gone though ... because what you can't see from this angle is the changes ‘round the back’.  Go down the access road at the side of their old shop and there’s a newer, much bigger, showroom.

Davey Brothers in 2014


Ferry Motors of Harwich

Ferry Motors in 1966

Ferry Motors at 66 West Street, Harwich.  When this picture was taken in 1966, the business had been running for two years.

And, after fifty years, it’s stil there.  It’s had a few coats of paint over the years but, apart from that, externally it’ just the same.

Ferry Motors in 2014


A Gatto of London SW18

A Gatto’s shop in 1959

In 1959, A Gatto claimed to have the largest selection of Scooters and Mopeds in London.  In 2012, not only is the shop still standing, but it is still trading as A Gatto, but now dealing in tools rather than mopeds.

A Gatto’s shop in 2012


W C Green of Sudbury

W C Green’s, about 1960

W C Green’s was at 98 North Street, Sudbury.  Several letters have fallen off the windows on the right; they should say ‘Agents for The Famous James Cycles & Motor Cycles’.  On the far left, the rear end of a 1954 Cyclemaster is just visible.  The moped on the right is a Hercules Corvette.

In 2009, although the structure of the shop is still there, the doors, windows, and frontage have changed enough to make it doubtful if this really is the same place.  However, the edge of the White Horse on the left of the pictures shows that this is the same place.

W C Green’s shop in 2009


Jacobi of Ipswich

A Jacobi in 1961
Jacobi's in 1965

Mr A Jacobi is pictured moving a new deliver of Mobylettes into his shop in 1961.  In 1965 Alexander Jacobi bought the entire Mobylette stand from the Brighton Show; he and his son, Francis, are pictured with the Mobylettes from the show.  The shop was at 74–76 Norwich Road, Ipswich.

By 2012, the shop is completely gone.  Although all the other shops in the row are still standing, the one that used to be occupied by Jacobi’s has been demolished.

Site of Jacobis in 2012


Kenistons of Romford

Kenistons in 1962

The picture (right) shows Kenistons of 5–6 Station Chambers, Victoria Road, Romford in July 1962 having just received a delivery of Raleigh RM4 Automatic mopeds.

This picture was taken by David Denny, sales manager at Raleigh.  Kenistons remainind in business into the 21st Century but, by 2007 when the second picture was taken, the premises were occupied by an estate agency.

Kenistons in 2007


Ladeveze of Paris

Ladeveze in 1966

Ladeveze in the avenue de Clichy, in Paris’s 17th arrondisement out near the Porte de Clichy, claimed to have the biggest motor cycle showroom in France with over 1,000 mopeds, motor cycles, scooters, three-wheelers and sidecars on display.  This picture comes from a 1967 advertisement, though the photo was taken at least a year before that.  On the left, lined up down the avenue de Clichy are mopeds and vélomoteurs with larger motor cycles and a lone scooter on the right in the rue Berzélius

In 2014 the building is unsurprisingly little changed (this is Paris, after all) but the motor cycles have gone to be replaced by a Chinese restaurant: the Cascade de Chine.

Ladeveze in 2014


Miles (Hull) Ltd

Miles (Hull) Ltd in 1965

Boulevard Terrace on Hull’s Anlaby Road filled the gap between the Boulevard and the railway line; the buildings were damaged during World War Two but part remained as the premises of Miles (Hull) Ltd, motor cycle dealers.  The picture shoes a new extension to the showroom, opened in 1965.  The Miles family occupied this site from the 1930s until 1980.

The site of Miles (Hull) Ltd

No trace of the shop remains.


Osborne of Colchester

Osbornes in 1964

Another picture from David Denny, this one shows D Osborne’s shop at 53 North Station Road, Colchester in May 1964.  Again, the picture was taken at the time of a delivery though, this time, the bikes are Hondas.

By 2013 the scene has changed and Osbourne’s shop has become a Pizza take-away, the old Service Café is now the Ocean Supermarket and Ind Coope’s Railway Tavern has been converted to shops and flats.

Osbornes in 2013


H V Powell of Birmingham

H V Powells in 1962

H V Powell’s cycle shop was at 96 Birchfield Road, Birmingham 19.  Mr Powell built his own mopeds, called the Joybike.  Joybikes were available in 75cc and 50cc versions.  A Joybike can be seen in the right-hand window in the picture.

The shop has gone now.  Birchfield Road is about three times wider than it was in the 1960s and all the even-numbered premises were swept away by the road widening.  As far as we can tell, the shop used to be where the car is in the present day photo.

Our third picture dates from 1960 and shows Mr Powell himself (on the left) outside the shop along with one of his Joybikes.

The site of H V Powells shop

H V Powell in 1960


Tinkler & Co of Norwich

Tinklers in 1964

Tinkler & Co had their shop at 6670 Dereham Road, Norwich.  The photo shows a display of brand-new Raleigh RM6 Runabouts on the forecourt.  Other period features are the hoardings in Douro Place advertising Players cigarettes (that wouldn’t be allowed today) and Bullards & Tolly beers (Bullards were brewed in Norwich, Tolly in Ipswich, neither is still in business).  The other poster is for Hovis bread—although Hovis is still with us, they no longer give a ‘serving suggestion’ of frying a slice with bacon.

When David Denny took this picture, he would have been standing outside The Eldorado Coffee Bar on the other side of the road.  David took a close-up (bottom picture) of Tinkler’s window display showing another RM6 with legshields fitted, and an RM8 Automatic Mark II.

By 2008, Tinkler’s shop had become a Blockbuster, a tree has grown large enough to obscure the church tower that can be seen in the 1960s’ picture, but there are still advertising hoardings on the corner

Tinklers in 2008

Tinklers window in 1964


G Turner of Alresford

Turner’s in 1938

This is a quite well-known photo of G Turner’s Cycle shop at 13 West Street, Alresford, taken in 1938.  The occasion was a visit by Billie Dovey, the ‘Keep Fit Girl’ of the 1930s.  Throughout 1938, Billie Dovey rode every single day of the year setting a record annual mileage of 29,603.7 miles.  Now take a look at the right-hand side of the photo and you’ll see where our interest lies: a Model C Cyc-Auto leaning against the shop.

Turner’s was in business until the 1960s but nowadays (2014) the shop is occupied by a branch of Heidi’s Swiss Patisserie.

Turner’s in 2012


June 2016

| CAMmag Home Page | List of articles |